Charterhouse Caving Company Ltd
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Q: Why a company?
- A: Cavers had an opportunity to take a lease on the land. Legally that meant we needed either a company or trustees. A company was thought
to be most appropriate for a consortium of caving clubs.
- Q: Where do I obtain keys and permits?
- A: Our member clubs can supply both of these. Otherwise contact the secretary.
- Q: Why are ‘commercial trips’ not permitted?
- A: They would be in breach of our legal agreements with the Wildlife Trust which owns the freehold on the land.
- Q: Can we take a larger party if we have two keys?
- A: No. Party size is limited for conservation reasons, this is just an attempt to bend the rules.
- Q: Why are clean oversuits required in Charterhouse Cave?
- A: The cave is both well-decorated and restricted in size, in places. This rule is intended to protect the formations
from muddying. People on long trips beyond Portal Pool are also expected to wash-off on their return.
- Q: How difficult is Charterhouse Cave?
- A: The cave is long, arduous and in places quite tight. Both Portal Pool and Diesel Duck are frequently closed.
No visitor should expect to reach the bottom on their first trip.
- Q: Can I use a drone in CCC Ltd administered caves?
- A: This is prohibited under PDO 26 of the SSSI citation for the Cheddar Catchment Area, which covers these caves.
Return to the Main Page.
Updated March 2016